Vehicle License in Rhine Ruhr

Registering a car in the region

Written by Garry on


To register a car that has been purchased the Rhine Ruhr region or anywhere else in Germany it is necessary to take a few documents to the local department of transportation (Strassenverkehrsamt). Firstly the passport of the person to whom the vehicle is being registered, the vehicle registration certificate (Zulassungsbescheinigung), electronic number from the company issuing insurance for the motor vehicle and an authorisation for tax withdrawal from a bank account are necessary.

Also needed are new number plates if the car was purchased in a different region and also the previous car registration papers, technical and exhaust qualifications if the car has been previously registered.

For motor vehicles from abroad with differing specifications some technical alterations may be required.