Driver License in Rhine Ruhr

A simple translation issue if undertaken soon enough

Written by Garry on

© Bundesdruckerei Deutschland

Expats relocating to Rhine Ruhr who register and wish to drive during an extended period, need to obtain a German driver’s license (Führerschein). Normally it is necessary to convert a foreign license to a local version within the first six months and is relatively easy with a bonefide translation of the original.

Following expiry of the initial time period, the original license is no longer valid in Germany and driving is not permitted. It is however still possible to convert a license for up to three years following commencement of residency, though more complex.

Driver licences are issued at the local department of transportation (Strassenverkehrsamt). The system operates for licenses issued in most countries, though some exemptions do exist.