The origins of the impressive collection of today’s Kunstpalast in Düsseldorf reach to the days of royalty in the form of Kurfürst Johann Wilhelm von der Pfalz. In 1710, he and his wife Anna Maria Luisa de‘ Medici began to gather together pieces of art, a process which also attracted international artists to the town.
Following three centuries of ups and downs, challenges and failures a successful restart was enabled in the modernised and extended premises of the Ehrenhof. The Museum Kunstpalast reveals a formidable 100.000 pieces that include paintings, sculptures, drawings, graphics, photos, prints and glass objects. Some of the collection stems from as early as the 15th century.
Besides showing the excellent and wide spectrum of its own possessions, the museum hosts changing exhibitions of highly respected works.