Residence Permit & Visa

Visas and permits to stay in Düsseldorf

Written by Garry on


Ease of entering and staying in Germany and Düsseldorfdepends upon nationality. Most EU nationals benefit from residency agreements within the European Union, for others, freedom of movement and settlement is not quite so simple.

The much used phrase “Freedom of Movement” within the EU is just that and possible without a visa. However, everyone who wishes to remain and work in a country other than that of their own nationality must register with the authorities if their stay is to exceed ninety days. The local registration office (Einwohnermeldeamt) will then issue a residence permit.

Most other foreigners from outside the European Union member counties need a visa but may under certain circumstances be able to move freely. Those entrepreneurs staying under ninety days per six month period to work who wish to set up a business, then a Schengen Visa should be applied for.

Non EU nationals wishing to run a business or take up employment in Germany need to apply for a national German visa to enter the country. This is intended for stays of ninety days or more. Generally speaking, there are many exceptions and specific regulations depending on the nationality of the person applying.

Residency and settlement permits such as the blue card are also complex topics, again depending upon nationality.



Kommunale Ausländerbehörde Landeshauptstadt Düsseldorf

Willi-Becker-Allee 7

40200 Düsseldorf , NRW


Phone: +49 211 892 1020

Download vCard